25 February 2006

Frolicking in the filth

I don't completely understand Mardi Gras. I'm not Catholic. Not even Christian. I have firm faith in the absence of a deity (and really, the absence of any spirit world, which includes passed loved ones). All I understand is that a parade is involved, as well as the wearing (and throwing?) of beads. Oh, and lots of pink and green (which is actually a pretty cool color scheme, but what it represents, I may never know, unless you care to inform me).

Something I am torn about is whether I like the fact that it's going on, in light of the events surrounding Katrina (beautiful name, by the way---too bad is has this connotation now). On the plus side, apparently it is a major revenue generator for Louisiana. On the minus side, I heard on CNN that taxpayers foot the bill, which is just plain wrong no matter how you slice it. On the plus side again, I guess many folks feel that having Mardi Gras implies a step back to normalcy. I can sympathize with that. However, it seems hypocritical to have this big money-guzzler (hey, MG! Money-guzzler, Mardi Gras! Who knew?) when part of said money-guzzler involves parading through the very streets that need a healthy infusion of cash for rehabilitation.

I just don't know. I suppose having Mardi Gras and cancelling it both have their pros and cons.

Keep on keepin' on, Nola.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

Everyone we saw on CNN at it today looked pretty old. Most of them were NO residents and were pretty happy the tradition was continuing. Not my scene so I'm glad we're not paying for it!

25/2/06 21:37  
Blogger Tricia said...

From what I've heard the colors and their meaning are:
gold=power, green=faith and purple=justice.
I've never been to Mardi Gras though.

25/2/06 21:45  
Blogger Perstephone said...

Yeah, I've been conflicted on how I feel about it, too. On the one hand, there's still healing and rebuilding to be done. On the other, you don't want to take anything away from the already knocked down city.

I can't wait to go back to help NOLA celebrate beating their adversities!

26/2/06 20:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home