28 June 2006

Dreams just out of reach

Here's an exercise for you. Another slightly pessimistic post of mine, but an interesting one this time. I know I've been kind of a grouch lately, but just bear with me.

Name one dream you have had for a long time, but that you feel is and may always be just slightly out of reach for you.

Me? I kind of want to go to Sweden. I am a fan of both men's and women's soccer, as is fairly well documented on this site. For a few years, I have been following the blog of Hedvig Lindahl, an elite women's goalkeeper for a team in Sweden. I started just because I happened to find it, and and I love it when elites like this reach out to their fans like this. Hedvig is also on the Swedish national team, and her team is coming to Blaine, Minnesota next month. Before my troubles in Ann Arbor, where I lost my return Greyhound ticket, and thusly cost myself hundreds, I had been eyeballing making this trip. It's 26 or so hours each way, but would seemingly be well worth it. Unfortunately, my lack of a job (and lack of motivation to get one), and the incidents in Michigan, are causing me to have to give that idea up.

Also, I feel that my Michigan trip kind of scared me into the reality that I may not be cut out for such a trip. Linkoping isn't exactly as tourist-friendly as the behemoth Stockholm (It'd be like a Swede deciding to visit Boise rather than New York City), and I don't want to lose any important papers or other belongings, and sure don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere trying to get somewhere in Linkoping that seems deceptively easy to get to but isn't.

I love my little weekend travels. I like to think I have learned to be a slightly better traveler each time. It's probably true, however, if one gets too relaxed, bad things happen. True, mistakes make you learn, but I'd rather not let hindsight be my prescription photogray glasses in a non-English-speaking country.

So, again, what about you? Name one dream you have had for a long time, but that you feel is and may always be just slightly out of reach for you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Beast1624 said...

Moving to Montana

28/6/06 13:21  
Blogger Cory said...

Montana!! Sarah Vowell is from there. Never been. I kind of hate the idea of moving. Six states is just too much.

3/7/06 16:02  
Blogger Rae said...

I would love to quit my job and run full time! Why hasn't Nike picked me up yet?????

3/7/06 23:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home