17 October 2006

the point of no return (the rebirth of a young woman)

I have had my mother in town for a few days. In general, things have gone wonderfully, which is hard to say sometimes with her. I admire her for many things. She is a good contributor to society, a talented person in many ways, and good to be around when we are on the same wavelength. Often we aren't, though. She and I are very different personalities, and it can get grating.

We saw a good adventure movie with Kevin Costner, though. Honestly, I was in the mood for lighter fare, but this movie proved to have extremely good special effects, nice scenery, very well developed characters (even if they only figured in as side characters).

We then ate at Outback. I had some pasta dish with shrimp and lemon sauce. My mother had a side of broccoli and a side of mashed potatoes (I almost called them mashers just now. Not much in the mood to write, but I think I need to). Tons of brown bread as well. Lovely bread. Lovely lovely bread.

I then got home. A new acquaintance (I guess you can say friend, on an IM level) has hit a financial wall that she never quite crashed through on her way to a double lung transplant. However, for whatever reason, tonight a new set of lungs were offered to her despite her financial situation. She had gotten home, to suburban Erie, I believe, a few hours earlier, and had to make a trip back out to Cleveland for the operation, which is underway as this is posted (8:45p et, if I remember). Not sure how long this kind of surgery lasts, but apparently updates will occur here in the "About Kina" forum.

Big night. Kind of exhausted. Kind of tense, but happy. I think it'll all be OK. Not sure, though. This is truly the point of no return.

Might shoot some photos tomorrow somewhere in the North Hills.

UPDATE: Kina went in to the O.R. just before 9, IIRC, and came out with two new lungs at 2:15. Apparently the procedure went as it was supposed to, and her family first saw her 45 minutes later. Thus begins the next phase of her life. Still in danger (rejection), but more in control of her life.

UPDATE 2: Off the ventilator already. Not sure how long she was supposed to be on. I'm new to following a transplant; anybody else witness this sort of thing? But everybody seems amazed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

Thanks for your good thoughts, prayers, and everything else. She's coming out of this like a star, and is expected to start AIMing on fri, so I hear. Hopefully things will get even better. I think she's stuck there through the holidays, but I might try to pop in over Thanksgiving if she and docs and family allow.

18/10/06 21:32  
Blogger Rae said...

Wow, that does sound like a speedy recovery. Best wishes for her!!!

19/10/06 09:20  
Blogger Beast1624 said...

Sounds like a miracle. Keep us informed. Also, glad your time with Mom went well. Always treasure it, even when the road gets a little rough!

19/10/06 16:33  
Blogger Cory said...

Thanks, Rae :) . And you too, Beast. We need to remember that things won't be perfect, but that nobody is a completely bad apple, either her or me or anyone else. Parents serve a specific purpose, and both parent and child need to remember that purpose and act accordingly around eachother. Fun can be had, and it was. Sometimes I regret that she comes alone to visit rather than with my father, but I suppose I'm not the only one in that predicament.

21/10/06 17:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home